The Dangers of Daily Allergy Medications VS. The Benefits of Acupuncture for Allergies
So many people, especially here in Wilmington, suffer from horrible allergies and take medication often and some take it year round. The problem with the allergy medication approach to solving your allergy dilemma is that there are many side effects from the medications, many of which are you may not be aware of yet!
Here are 8 surprising side effects that can affect you that we think are important for you to know about.
- Low Libido. Oh no,not that! But yes, any allergy medication that has a depressive effect can affect your sex drive, and not in the way that you would prefer!
- Increased Appetite. Taking medicines with antihistamines can increase your appetite, so if you are struggling with food already, ask yourself if this may be a contributing factor.
- Altered Taste and Smell. If you are using those nose spray allergy meds, they can affect your sense of taste and smell, and not in a good way. So, if you must use one, make sure you are using a spray with no preservatives or fragrances added to it.
- Long Term Health Issues. This is especially true if you are using a steroid of some sort in your medication.
- Infertility in Women. Not conclusive, but evidence is pointing to the drying out of membranes from allergy medicines as a possible culprit in infertility.
- Anxiety. The stimulant properties in many allergy medications can cause heart palpitations, insomnia and anxiety, so if you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks already, you may want to research your medicine more.
- Impairment of Thinking. The same ingredients in allergy medicines that cause drowsiness can also be responsible for cognitive impairment. If you’re feeling sluggish or slow, think again before getting behind the wheel of a moving vehicle.
- Depression. If you’ve been feeling more sad than glad you may want to think about what medications you are on. A little known side-effect of antihistamines due to the sedatives in some of them is depression. It can cause current depressive conditions to worsen and aggravate an unknown underlying condition.
If any of these problems strike a chord with you, we always recommend talking to your doctor about any concerns you may have. The good news is, there is an answer to your allergy problems that does not have deleterious side effects, only side benefits! The answer is ACUPUNCTURE!
Acupuncture and herbs and whole food supplements help solve the underlying problem of why you get allergies in the first place. Allergies are an overactive immune response that can be mitigated and balanced with acupuncture and supported with nutrition and herbs.
How long does it take before you can expect relief with acupuncture? It depends on you! Your age, how long you’ve had problems, how good you are about taking care of yourself outside of the office, etc. For some, only a few treatments work wonders, for others, it’s necessary to do more.
The beautiful thing about acupuncture as a treatment for allergies, you usually have some lovely side benefits that occur in addition to your allergies getting better. You may sleep better, digest better, feel calmer and more relaxed, have less brain fog and sharper thinking.
With all that good news and none of the bad, what are you waiting for? Give us a call at 910-262-1122 or schedule your appointment online at www.healedbyacupuncture.com.